Viewing Room Main Site

Biography

Gego

Gego in 1969 with her “Reticulárea” in Caracas, Venezuela.

Hamburg, Germany, 1912 - Caracas, Venezuela, 1994

Gego (Gertrud Goldschmidt) graduated with a degree in architecture and engineering in 1938 from the Stuttgart Technical School (Technische Hochschule Stuttgart), where she received a foundational education in Russian and Bauhaus Constructivism models and studied under Paul Bonatz instruction. In 1939, due to the Nazi’s regime persecution, she arrived to Caracas in the shaping of the Venezuelan Constructivist scene, next to which she will develop her wide artistic production.

The artist worked in the design and manufacturing of furniture, also in the development of architectonic projects at her arrival to the South American country. In 1956 she started to manufacture her first pieces in which she tested the use of sculptural space, not to mention her beginning as a long teaching career that would take her to be one of the Neumann’s Design Institute founders and teachers (1964). She moved to New York in 1960 and remained in the United States until 1967, where she studied pedagogy and worked in various engraving and sculpture workshops.

Her work characterizes by the experimentation in space with the use of the line, the most elementary unit of drawing, and by the transformation of the grid, a form closely related to abstraction in modern art. In 1969 Gego exhibited Reticularea at the Museo de Bellas Artes of Caracas -a fundamental installation in the history of art- where the opacity of the structures and the instability of its forms shows an artistic project that faced the rationalism of abstraction.